Crispy potatoes and eggs make this delicious breakfast omelet.
1 small red onion, sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, small dice
1 medium tomato, diced
4 large eggs
½ teaspoon chili powder, kashmiri preferred
Salt to taste
1 pound waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into ½” thick sticks
Neutral oil for frying
- Heat a 10” non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Drizzle in enough oil to lightly coat the bottom, then add the onion. Cook until they begin to soften, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the bell pepper and tomato, cooking until the tomatoes have let off their liquid and the peppers have softened but are still a vibrant green. Season well with salt and transfer into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Set the pan aside to use again.
- To the bowl, crack in the eggs, seasoning with cilantro, chili powder, and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Fill a separate medium-sized pot with 2-inches of oil and heat to 350°F (180°C). Pat the potatoes dry using a clean kitchen towel. Working in batches, fry in the oil until they’re tender and lightly golden, about 5-7 minutes.
- Drain the fries on a paper towel-lined plate, lightly seasoning with salt.
- Set the 10” frying pan over medium-low heat. Add in the butter, once melted pour on top the egg mixture, scramble until 1/2 way cooked. Then spread into an even layer then press the fries into the top. Gently shake the pan to keep the bottom from sticking.
- Place a large plate (wider than the pan) on top of the skillet. Use a kitchen towel to protect yourself, and one swift motion, flip the omelette onto the plate.
- Add a splash of oil into the pan, then slide the omelette in, so the other side can cook until set, another 2-3 minutes.