Chocolate Birthday Cake
Chocolate cake has always been the ultimate birthday treat. This birthday cake has 3 chocolate layers with a white chocolate cream cheese icing. A proper birthday cake can make all the difference, but doesn’t need to be difficult. The dry ingredients can be mixed together and stored to make a homemade cake mix.Print
Chocolate cake has always been the ultimate birthday treat. This birthday cake has 3 chocolate layers with a white chocolate cream cheese icing. The dry ingredients can be mixed ahead of time, and stored in an air-tight container.
2 cups(260g) all-purpose flour
3/4 cups (75g)cocoa powder, sifted
1 ⅓ cup white granulated sugar
⅔ cup, packed dark brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup(225 ml) buttermilk, shaken
¾ cup (200ml) vegetable oil
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
1- 3.5 ounce chocolate bar, finely chopped
White Chocolate Frosting, recipe follows
White Chocolate Frosting:
6 ounces white chocolate, melted
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease 3 8-inch round cake pans using non-stick spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the wet ingredients. Working from the center, whisk together, gradually incorporating the dry ingredients.
- Sprinkle the chocolate shards on top in a single layer.
- Dissolve the espresso powder into ½ cup of hot water
- Pour the hot espresso on top of the chocolate shards in the bowl. Allow to sit for 30 seconds, then whisk until smooth
- Divide the cake batter into the cake tins. Bang the pans on the countertop a few times to make sure the batter is evenly spread. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until the center comes out clean when tested with a toothpick.
- Cool in the baking tins until cool to the touch, then carefully remove the cake from the pans to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare the frosting, use an electric mixer to cream together the butter and cream cheese. Add in the white chocolate and vanilla. Beat in the powdered sugar a spoonful at a time until the frosting is smooth. Transfer to a piping bag and cut the tip to make a ½-inch wide opening.
- To assemble the cake, place a dollop of frosting on the base of your cake stand followed by the 1st cake layer. Pipe the icing along the edge of the cake then add more icing in the center and spread in an even layer. Add the 2nd cake layer and repeat. Place on top the last cake layer flat side facing up so it’s flat. Carefully spread on top the rest of the icing, decorating with sprinkles.
- Make sure your white chocolate isn’t piping hot when making your icing, otherwise it’ll melt the butter and cream cheese.