Pilchards Curry with Dombolo
Pilchards Curry with Dombolo is the comfort food of Chef Nti‘s childhood made with humble ingredients and packed with flavor. Pilchards, also known as sardines, stew in a luscious tomato curry with pillowy flour dumplings. Your nose will meet whiffs of the fragrant curry powder and the earthy mushrooms. You’ll taste the sweetness of the tomato matching the tender sardines creating a perfectly silky stew.
Make this dish for a quick weeknight meal that feeds the belly and the soul.Print
A luscious tomato curry with pilchards and flour dumplings.
For the curry:
3 tbsp oil, I use olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 tsp curry powder, I use chef Nti’s all purpose spice mix
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can Lucky Star Pilchards in Tomato Sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
Handful of chopped parsley, for garnish
For the dumplings:
2 cups self-raising flour
2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
1⁄4 tsp salt
1 cup double cream plain yoghurt
- Heat oil in a large pot and fry onions and garlic until softened and translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened as well. Stir in the curry powder and fry until fragrant.
- Add can of chopped tomatoes.
- Clean pilchards, debone and keep halves whole. And pour pilchards and sauce from tin into stew. Season to taste with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Prep the dumpling dough while the curry is simmering.
- Stir the self-raising flour, parsley and a pinch of salt in a large bowl to combine.
- Add 1 cup of yoghurt and stir this into the flour mixture to form a dough. Knead the dough on a floured surface until soft and smooth.
- Divide the dough into 8 portions and roll into evenly-sized balls, using damp hands when working with dough to avoid it sticking.
- Place the dumpling balls on top of the stew and close the lid of the pot.
- Cook on medium to low heat, allowing the stew to simmer gently and the dumplings to steam for about 25 minutes, until the dough has puffed up and the dumplings are cooked through.
- Spoon some stew with a dumpling into a bowl, sprinkle over some freshly chopped parsley and ENJOY!