This East African snack of beef filling surrounded by a crisp outer layer of mashed potatoes has a taste of comfort in every bite. Make it an appetizer or enjoy it during snack time.
8 potatoes; boil until soft
250 g minced beef; you can use mutton or chicken
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 heaped tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 onion; diced
2 cloves garlic; minced
1/2 tsp green chili; optional
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp coriander; roughly chopped
2 cups of Vegetable oil
- Add the potatoes to a thick-bottomed pot. Pour in enough water to cover the potatoes and add in 2 tbsp salt. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are soft.
- Mash the potatoes using a ricer or the back of a bottle.
- In a pan, add the minced meat followed by all the spices and cook until the meat browns.
- Add in the diced onion, garlic and chili. Cook on medium heat until the onions are translucent.
- Squeeze in the juice of one lemon and turn the heat off. Set aside until the meat mixture is cool enough to handle.
- Take 1 1/2 tablespoons of the mashed potato and form a disk shape. Cup your hand slightly and shape the potato mix by gently pressing it into your cupped hand.
- Grab a tablespoon of the meat mixture (or filling of your choice) and add it to the mashed potato.
- Bring the sides of the potato together and form a ball. Press gently to flatten it ever so slightly.
- In a bowl add two eggs and 1 tsp salt, whisk well.
- Dip the shaped potato patties into the egg then shallow fry for 2 min each side.