Flaky puff pastry filled with a savory minced beef.
2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds, plus additional to garnish
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds, plus additional to garnish
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium red onion, finely diced
4 green/spring onions, finely chopped
1” piece ginger, peeled and minced
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
½ cup frozen peas
1 pound ground beef (80/20)
1 jalapeño, finely chopped
a handful cilantro, chopped
juice of a lime (about 1 ½ tablespoons)
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, defrosted
sea salt flakes, to garnish
- Toast seeds in a dry frying pan until fragrant then grind in a spice grinder
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Once hot, add the ground beef. Use a spatula to break apart the meat and cook for 3 minutes. Add onion and cook until beef is brown and onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, jalapeño, salt, pepper, coriander, cumin, and scallions to the meat. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the peas and cilantro, then cook for another 2 minutes. Remove the meat filling from the heat and let cool.
- Cut each sheet of puff pastry into 9 squares. Fill with a spoonful of filling in the center and fold over into a triangle. Pinch together the edges with a fork.
- Place the folded samosa puffs on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with egg wash and decorate the tops with a sprinkle of cumin & coriander seeds and sea salt flakes.
- Bake 400°F for 20 min or until golden brown.