2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds boneless short rib or chuck, cut into 2″ chunks
2 medium red onions, small dice
3 tablespoons ghee or butter
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1″ piece ginger, minced
1 1/2 tablespoon berbere spice
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups beef stock
Kosher salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
a handful of cilantro leaves
1/4 of a red onion, sliced
- Season beef generously with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, sear the beef on all sides. Set browned beef on a plate to rest.
- Lower the heat to medium. To the same pan add the red onions, cooking until soft and a dark brown. This will take 15-20 minutes, be sure to stir occasionally to prevent onions from burning.
- Add in the ghee, garlic, ginger, tomato paste, and berbere spice. Cook for 2 minutes until garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the beef stock. Bring the sauce to a simmer and return the beef to the pan. Reduce the heat to a medium low and partially cover with a lid. Cook until beef is tender and can easily break apart with two forks, about 2-3 hours stirring occasionally to keep sauce from burning. Serve with the pomegranate seeds, cilantro leaves and red onion slices to garnish.
With rice, injera, roast potatoes, or in a taco!