4 chicken thighs
1 tbsp old bay spice (optional)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp of curry powder
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 tbsp finely chopped mint leaves
1 tbsp of ginger paste
1 tbsp of garlic paste
2 large red onions (divided)
2 large Roma tomatoes
2 tbsp of tomato paste
1 of neutral oil (divided)
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
A pinch of mixed herbs
3 apple-infused sausages
2 cups of Basmati rice
2 cups of sweet corn
- In a zip lock bag, add all your chicken thighs, then add old bay spice, lemon, turmeric, coriander, mint, salt, pepper, ginger, and garlic paste, and two tablespoons of oil. Shake it well and place it in the fridge to marinate for an hour to overnight.
- In a blender put your onions, tomatoes, tomato paste, ½ a cup of oil, and coriander, old bay, mixed herbs, turmeric, curry powder, chicken bouillon, and blend them all together.
- In a pot, add some oil and let the pureed tomato mixture reduce, under low heat for 15 mins. Salt to taste.
- In a large deep pan, par-sear your sausage (partially cook through), for about 3 to 5 minutes, looking to achieve even browning all around, and let the grease stay in the pan. After they have cooled, chop them and set them aside.
- Take out the chicken from the bag and sear them on both sides in the oil left from frying your sausages. Remove from the pan and allow to rest.
- In the pan, add oil and cook the rice for an estimated 3 mins until just starting to brown.
- Then add the red sauce and 4 cups of water, cover, and bring to a simmer.
- After your rice has cooked for about 10 to 13 minutes, add the chopped sausage, chicken, and yellow corn to the pot.
- Cover the pot and set your heat to low. Let this cook for 30 more minutes, constantly checking to make sure all is well.
- While the rice cooks, in a small pan, fry some chopped onions on medium-high heat until browned.
- Serve with the fried onions as a garnish.
- This is a dish best served hot and goes perfectly well paired with fried plantain.
Keywords: party rice, chicken, sausage, rice recipe, community, celebration, family