Coconut, Pumpkin & Butterut Squash Mash￼
Ultra fluffy sweet and savory pumpkin and butternut mash with coconut milk and rosemary. Absolutely perfect for the fall.
For two ingredients from the same family, pumpkin and butternut squash have very distinct flavors and textures. I created this coconut mash recipe to highlight how such sweet vegetables carry a more dynamic eating experience and can be paired with the tastiest curries, roast meats and vegetables, or simply served with some steamed greens. Personally, I have it alone with a glass of lemonade on the side, only throwing in some roast meat if I can’t ignore the millardic scent.Print
400g Butternut squash, peeled and diced into cubes
400g Pumpkin, peeled and diced into cubes
½ cup of coconut milk
Fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- In a large pot, add your butternut and pumpkin cubes, and add about an inch of water.
- Sprinkle about two teaspoons of salt and a teaspoon of pepper before covering and steaming on medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Once a fork can easily break apart your pumpkin, take it off the heat, add ½ cup of coconut milk, the chopped rosemary, and mixed herbs.
- Use a potato masher (or a hand mixer for a fluffier consistency) to mash your pumpkin and combine everything well. Ensure you’ve mashed to your preferred mashed texture. Serve hot with a meat stew, veggie curry, or whatever you like with your mash.
- Reheats perfectly in a microwave if stored covered in the fridge
- Can be made in advance of the meal but should be served hot
Keywords: mash, coconut, pumpkin, butternut squash