Gloria’s Ghanian Jollof Rice
You all know it and love it, this Jollof Rice recipe will bring back childhood memories. If you haven’t heard of it, it’s a classic West African dish that you need in your recipe arsenal. There are different versions all over West Africa and we embrace them all.
This Ghanaian party rice is one of Gloria’s favorite recipes that she learned from her mother. Jasmine rice is cooked in a spicy tomato stew. Enjoy this jollof alone, with your favorite stew, or our personal favorite homemade Gloria’s Shito— smokey chili crisp with just enough heat.Print
1 mediums size onion
2 small habaneros
4 cloves of garlic
1 ounce of ginger
4 medium size tomatoes
1/3 cup of olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
6 oz. tomato paste
1 tbsp of salt
1 tbsp of dry minced onions
½ tsp of garlic powder
½ tsp of Dry Rosemary (Optional)
4 cups of white jasmine rice
1 ½ cup of low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
2 cups of diced rainbow carrots (optional)
- Add ½ half onion to the blender with 2 small habaneros, 4 garlic cloves, ginger, and tomatoes and blend till smooth.
- Add to at an 8 qt. pot; Olive oil over medium heat flame.
- Dice remaining ½ onion and add to the pot along with 1 tbsp of minced garlic and allow to cook for about 5 mins at medium-high flame until almost brown or caramelized.
- Add tomatoes past and mix in, allow to cook for 5 mins.
- Add dice, dry opinion flakes, garlic powder, dry rosemary and salt. Allow to cook for 3 mins on medium heat.
- Add blended ingredients (½ onion, habanero, garlic ginger and tomatoes) to pot and allow to cook on medium heat for 15mins.
- Wash 4 cups of white jasmine rice then add to the pot. Add 1 cup of chicken broth and mix in.
- Cover with lid and allow to cook for 15 mins on medium heat.
- After 15 mins add diced rainbow carrots and mix in.
- Shower over ½ cup of remaining chicken broth then cover with lid.
- Allow to cook for 45mins on low heat or until rice is softened while mixing gently or turning over rice every 15 mins to ensure evenly cooked throughout.
- Taste to make sure rice is cooked then remove from heat.
- Allow to sit for 15 mins, then serve.
Serve with Gloria’s Shito