Sweet & Tart Passion Fruit & Lime Pie
A fresh and bright adaptation to the classic key lime pie, Kiano’s passion fruit and lime pie recipe takes birthdays and celebrations to a new level.
Jikoni’s staff member Matt recently had his birthday, and his favorite type of dessert is key lime pie. To make a bright and exciting adaptation to the American classic, Kiano has opted for adding passion fruit puree and swapped the Graham cracker crust for Biscoff biscuits.Print
25 Biscoff cookies
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons sugar
Pinch of salt
⅔ cup seedless passion fruit pulp, or roughly 10 passion fruits, cut in half and pulp scraped out
⅓ cup lime juice (about 3 limes plus their zest)
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
4 egg yolks
1 cup whipped cream
⅓ cup powdered sugar
Lime zest to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (roughly 180°C).
- In a blender, pulse the Biscoff cookies until all the pieces are smaller than a quarter coin.
- In a mortar and pestle, grind the fennel seeds into smaller pieces for roughly a minute.
- Melt the butter in the microwave, and add in the cookie crumb, the ground fennel seeds, sugar, and salt, mixing to combine.
- Spray a pie dish with nonstick cooking spray, and add in the crust mixture. First use your hands to evenly distribute the crust mixture, and then use the flat bottom of a glass to gently press down the mixture along the bottom and sides of the dish until the crust is compact.
- Bake the crust in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, until the crumb is firm and holds together. Set aside and leave to cool completely.
- Put the passion fruit pulp in a food processor and blend for a minute, until all the seeds have separated from the pulp. Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl, using a spoon to push through the thicker pulp, until only the seeds remain in the strainer.
- Add the lime juice and lime zest to the bowl with the passion fruit pulp.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with an electric whisk until they are pale and fluffy. Whilst whisking, slowly pour in the condensed milk until fully incorporated.
- Slowly fold in the passion fruit and lime mixture until fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the cooled pie crust, and bake in the oven until it has mostly set, roughly 20-25 minutes. The pie should still wobble when you move it.
- Let the pie finish setting by chilling in the fridge for 4-6 hours (or ideally overnight), until the pie is no longer wobbly.
- Before serving, add whipped cream to the pie, dust with powdered sugar, and garnish with freshly grated lime zest.