4.5 lbs oxtail
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves
400g Rosa tomatoes and 200g Roma tomatoes (or 2 tins of tomatoes)
2 habanero chili
5 small yellow and red bell pepper
2 tablespoon tomato paste
2 Maggi stock cubes in 1 liter of hot water
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp palm oil
2 tbsp ground crayfish
2 portions of dry smoked fish
- Clean the oxtail removing all visible fat, and season generously with salt, and let marinate for one hour.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan until hot and carefully add the oxtail and season with black pepper.
- Add onion and sauté on high heat for 15 minutes or until golden and caramelized.
- Add the 1 liter Maggi stock liquid and ground crayfish and cook covered for about 2 hours.
- In a food processor, mix all tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, garlic, and habanero chili to a super smooth consistency.
- In a separate saucepan, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and palm oil and mix well on medium to high heat. And tomato paste and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato, pepper, garlic mixture to the tomato paste and cook on high heat for another 3 minutes, reduce the heat to medium and let it simmer with a lid on for about 20 minutes.
- Add the meat stock to the tomato stew and cover the pot.
- When the stew begins to boil, taste for seasoning, remember the meat stock already has some seasoning.
- Turn down heat to medium and allow the stew to simmer for about 45 minutes for the meats to absorb the flavors.
- Stir and turn off the heat.
Season your meat and let it sit for at least an hour before cooking.
Render the fat from the oxtail by frying on high heat on both sides for about 15 minutes.
Check African food specialty stores for the ground crayfish and dry smoked fish.