Though popularized as brunch dish, this North African spicy tomato & egg dish can be enjoyed any time of day. Customize with the adding in your favorite sausage, greens or soft cheese.
2 tablespoons neutral oil (sunflower)
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded & thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 chili (medium spicy), sliced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Kosher salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1 can chopped tomatoes (14 ounce)
4 large eggs
handful fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Heat a medium sized frying pam over medium high heat. Add oil, onion, and the bell pepper. Saute until they have slightly softened are a bit charred, about 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium, add in the garlic, chili pepper, cumin, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes and cilantro. Bring to a simmer.
- Use the back of your cooking spoon to create 4 craters in the sauce, and crack 1 egg into each hole. Cook for 7-10 minutes until egg whites are set and yolks are at desired doneness. If you like well done eggs, cover with a lid to help yolks firm up.
- Garnish with cilantro and chili slices. Enjoy with fresh bread.